NEW JERSEY – Governor Murphy has signed seven New Jersey bills, one of which addresses mental health issues amid the COVID pandemic (see list below).
Murphy signed Law A3548 this week, which will require private insurers, the state health insurance plan, and the school employee health care program to put in place policies and procedures to ensure coverage. expenditure on mental health screening for major depressive disorder in adolescents between 12 and 18 years of age.
Murphy also signed the Healthy Terminals Act (S989) which creates new minimum wage and benefit requirements for certain workers at Newark Liberty International Airport and Newark Liberty International Station. Read more: NJ’s Healthy Terminals Act takes off; Government signs health care bill
Under A3548, health benefit coverage will be provided to the same extent as for any other condition in the contract or policy.
“The effects and uncertainty of the COVID-19 pandemic have put the mental health of our adolescents at risk, and it is more essential than ever to keep the well-being of our young people at the forefront of our recovery from COVID -19, âMurphy said. âWith the signing of today’s bill, we are putting the mental health of our children first and making sure they receive the support they need during this time and beyond.
By signing this bill, Murphy said, he is taking steps to ensure that this coverage continues if the Affordable Care Act is repealed or declared invalid.
âMajor depressive disorder affects eight percent of adolescents in the United States. Early intervention and diagnosis are essential for appropriate treatment, âsaid Senator Nellie Pou. “Due to financial difficulties, mental health screenings may not be available to all families who need them. It is essential to ensure that appropriate mental health screenings and treatment are accessible to all without risk of financial barriers. ”
Murphy also signed the following bills:
- S-3414 / A-5378 (Sweeney, Greenstein / DeAngelo, Egan, Johnson) – Promotes workforce diversity in public works projects; revise definition of “public works projects” to allow project work agreements for more projects
- A-1145 / S-1739 (Freiman, Egan, Karabinchak / Oroho, Beach) – Establishes an “electronic permit processing review system”
- A-1285 / SS for S-2874 (Greenwald, Chiaravalloti, Moen / Singleton, Cryan, Oroho) with DECLARATION – Establishes procedures for awarding design-build contracts. Copy of the declaration
- A-3199 / S-2315 (Murphy, Benson, Vainieri Huttle / Beach, Scutari) – Prohibits discrimination against living organ donors in life, health and long-term care insurance
- A-5057 / S-3190 (Danielsen, Speight, Taliaferro / Smith, Bateman) – Authorizes the NJ Infrastructure Bank to finance aeronautical and maritime infrastructure projects; makes various other changes to the enabling legislation of the bank