Every friend of mine has come to the same conclusion about Governor Murphy: he needs to be remembered and, at the same time, held accountable for his actions. Some reasons:
• He knowingly mixed up recovering elderly COVID patients released from hospitals to nursing homes, resulting in the deaths of 7,900 elderly people (nj.com, March 11, 2021). And the number has probably increased since then. This “crime against humanity” should immediately result in his removal and his appearance in court so that he can be held responsible;
• Governor Murphy’s tyrannical style closed churches, synagogues and mosques while he left “big box stores” (eg Home Depot) open. He violated our First Amendment rights to “free exercise of religion”;
• The Murphy administration did nothing for the middle class; our taxes are among the highest in the country. We get it in “six ways until Sunday,” which is high sales taxes, high property taxes, and high state taxes. Did he make an effort to reduce the gas tax which was a “crumb” for us taxpayers?
• Governor Murphy thinks taxpayers should pay for the community college. I do not agree. I paid off my student loans in 10 years. It is doable and should be the norm if colleges stop ripping us off. People who enter our country illegally do not need to receive free education. Money spent here should be given to poor citizens;
• The minimum wage was never meant to be a “living wage”. When the wage hits $ 15 an hour, small businesses go bankrupt. Large companies pass the cost on to the consumer, which is not fair. Please check out Seattle, Washington, and see what happened there once the minimum wage rose to $ 15 an hour;
• Guns don’t kill people, people do. Governor Murphy wants people to have “no guns.” But, I refer you to the Constitution of the United States and the Second Amendment. The founders could not be clearer: “… the right of the people to own and bear arms, must not be violated. Remember that criminals always have guns;
• Wind and solar only represent around 3% of our energy needs. We must come to grips with this fact. Do we have a renewable energy source right now to get rid of fossil fuels? Otherwise, cut it. In addition, these wind turbines impact, reduce, fragment or degrade the habitat of wildlife, fish and plants. And, I might add, these alternative sources of energy are environmental horrors;
• In a January 2021 Philly Voice article, the Garden State saw more people leave it than any other part of the country. And it was the third year in a row. This was according to data provided by United Van Lines. New Jersey is a great state, but it’s not good for the taxpayer.
Based on the above and in particular the first point, we need to remind Governor Murphy and hold him accountable for creating an atmosphere where we are the “serfs” and he is the king.
Neil D. Garguilo
Canton in full ownership